Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 42. Brick

Today was by FAR the most intense workout I have had yet. We were out in the Leesburg area. Today's goal was to ride for 80 minutes and then run for 30 minutes immediately afterwards. The only thing they left out is that it was going to be all hills! The only way I can describe these hills is that when I was in my lowest gear I still didn't think I was going to make it up these hills - and in times I just wanted to give up and walk my bike up them (but I'm tough, so I perservered!). When I would get to the top of these hills, my legs would be shaking uncontrollably from all the work I just put them through. I just kept thinking, I have to tackle these hills again on the way back - I should've done a bit more positive thinking!

The good news is on the way back I was riding with one of the mentors and she shared a very important biking technique that helped tremendously on the way back! So, the ride back wasn't nearly as bad as the one on the way there. After the bike was over, we had biked nearly 16 miles.

So, I hurried back, threw off my equipment and put on my running shoes. My first couple steps were painfully, when my calves completely locked up. So, I stopped and stretched them for a few seconds on a curb. After that, I wasn't too bad. It's a funny feeling after riding your bike for that long, to actually have to run afterwards. I ended up running with another team member, Tammy, so it was a lot easier to finish the run while I talked with her.

After the run, we finished and celebrated recommitment by having a stretching session and eating food (bagels, bananas, etc). The funny thing is this whole thing was done by 11 am. :) What did you do this morning? Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment