Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day 21. First Brick

Whoops - I'm a day late writing this post. Anyhow - yesterday was madness! It started off with driving to Georgetown and then biking to Fletcher's Boathouse (2 miles down). That was all fine and good, until the huge storm we got on Friday had knocked down this enormous tree that blocked the path. So, I had to climb over this tree with my bike - I hope you have a good mental picture - because it was quite humorous. After that, we started our brick workout. The only problem was that there were millions of people on the trail - to the point where it was treacherous! There were way too many runners and bikers on the trail at the same time. The other problem was that when you were trying to pass the runners/walkers they wouldn't move over to the right so you could get around them without hitting the oncoming traffic! So, there was one time where I was either going to hit this lady in front of me or I was going to have to pass on the right (which is also a no-no). But, I was thinking safety first, so I passed on the right. And, she totally laid in to me - screaming away. I rather have her scream, then both of end up in a bloody pile on the trail. So, after that I made it to the run portion - and it was super weird to run after biking for 45 minutes. I'm going to have to learn to get used to that.

So, once I was all done - I had heard that one of the mentors had a horrible spill on his bike on the trail and he was taking to the GW Hospital. Another thing to add to this horrible day. I've decided that if the LLS folks pick trails that are this busy again on a Saturday - that I'm just going to do the workouts on my own rather than have to constantly start and stop to dodge people. One of the coaches said it was only going to be this bad today because of the picnic afterwards.

The picnic was a little lackluster as well - but maybe I was just in a bad mood. They had a spread of bagels, muffins, and juice out for us and each honored teammate said a few words and that was it! I thought there was going to be more to it. Anyhow, I didn't stick around long, because I still had 2 miles to bike and a tree to crawl over to make it back to my car.

What a day!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. It was rough speeding up and slowing down. I would say it was valuable for a lot of people on how important trail etiquette is. I took the metro home :) after I biked back to Foggy Bottom.

    I am still working on my post for Saturday's workout. Trying to find time to write is always so hard.

    ReplyDelete