Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day 84. Practice Tri

Today was an early morning. I was up at 4am to get ready and leave the house by 4:30am. I then had to drive to Annapolis, MD which is about 1.5 hrs from my house. Once I got there, we started setting up our transition areas. I was able to pick up my wetsuit since I missed out on the swim last weekend. We had a brief transition area clinic and then we were going to start the practice tri. Since I have never wore a wet suit before, I'm sure it was quite amusing to see me shake and pull to get myself into it. Boy are those things tight - nothing left to the imagination. The practice tri today consisted of a 300 yard swim in the Chesapeake Bay, a 10 mile bike, and a 2 mile run. All in all pretty much 1/3rd of the actual race.

The Swim
This was the first time I have ever swam in open water. I started out ok for the first 100m or so, but then I started to freak out (which I guess is normal for open water swimming) and then I had to switch to the backstroke to finish the race. Lesson learned from this was the start out real slow and work up to race pace. Also - just breathe and focus.

The Bike
The bike felt really good. The course was nice and flat. I've decided that I'm going to wear my camelback on race day just so I keep hydrated better.

The Run
It was the usual run. I start out horrible and slowly start to get better as it goes.

So, technically, today I am officially a triathlete. This was the first time I had done all three sports together and I think I did pretty good. I'm still alittle scared about the swimming, so I will definitely be practicing more while at the beach.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Ash! Now you know you can make it through. :)

    ReplyDelete